Sunday 25 April 2010

In a little place called Antwerp


Today I had the choice of going to either a flower show in Brussels or to Antwerp for a few hours. Even with a bit of yesterday’s headache leftover, the decision was easy and I left Monrose to catch a train to Antwerp in an excited mood. Most people I had spoke to have said that it is much more superior then Brussels so I had high expectations of this place. I caught the Metro to the station, fully equipped with a jumper and camera but no food or drink, and decided to get a coffee while I waited for my train. Now those of you who know me know that I love takeaway coffees at stations, especially Caffè Americano’s around London, so I waited in line for my cup of hot beaney goodness. I ordered my drink but all I got in return was a confused look “Americano?!? What is that?” A coffee shop that has not heard of an Americano...strange. Come to think of it, if anyone knows a shop that does sell this drink in Brussels please do let me know, thanks readers.

Anyway, I marched down to the platform with something called a Latte and waited for my train. At one point a man with a child came up to me and started to ask what language I spoke and before I know it he started to ask me to fill his cup with some coins. Maybe I should have offered him some of this horrible coffee. It was about a 50 minute journey into Antwerp, I spent most of these minutes looking out at the countryside or checking my Facebook to see if anyone commented on my announcement of this trip.
I arrived into Antwerp station and started to ascend the three floors to the street and spent most the time exploring the streets and market squares but I had to pick the day when there was a large bike ride for charity going on, so I spent most the afternoon trying to avoid being run over by the phalanx of bicycles that raced by. But I must admit that I am starting to miss cycling!
After I was finished (which was not long as most of the shops are closed on a Sunday over here) I headed home. I will have to visit here again soon but with my flatmates and on a Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment